Nail glues are expensive, and we do spend heavily on them to give our nails beauty and style.
But what if you are given an option, where you can save loads on nail glue and make one at home without much effort.
Yes, you read it right. Now stop spending high prices on nail glue and make yourself one at home, that guarantees all the features of the professional ones.
So, take on your DIY cap, and let’s start making nail glue at home, with simple basic supplies that can be availed easily at home or the store near you.
Things Needed For Making Nail Glue
- Small container
- White or clear glue – 1 cup
- Clear nail polish – ¼ fl oz. (7.4 ml) – half of the standard nail polish bottle
- One cotton swab
DIY Nail Glue Project
- First, take a cotton swab and cut at the other end. Ensure you cut just above the one end of the swab, where the area of the cotton begins. Now, this will be your stirrer, to prepare for the nail glue.
- Next, take a container and a measuring cup. Pour white or clear glue into the measuring cup and transfer it to the bowl. Scrape off all the glue in the sides of the cup, so that nothing is left behind.
- Add 7.4 ml of clear nail polish and mix well with the glue using the cotton swab.
- Mix the ingredients for at least 3-4 minutes, until they are well-combined.
- Now, you can either transfer it to a clean airtight bottle or start using it immediately.
Applying the DIY Nail Glue
Use the wooden side of the cotton swab and start by applying it gently to your nails.
Make sure, the glue covers the entire nail. Apply using the stroking method, so that the nails are covered with glue evenly.
Note: Do not use the cotton side to apply the glue, as you will end up cotton sticking to your nails. This will not give a smooth and strong finish.
Once you have applied the nail glue evenly to your nails, position your artificial nails rightly, and press at least for one minute. Make sure you do not move your hand during the pressing time so that it sticks nicely and strong.
You can also use nail glue to fix or repair your split nail. Instead of applying the glue all over the nail, you can simply add the glue mixture to the broken area.
Always keep a note to use only the wooden side of the cotton swab, so that no cotton comes in the way during the fixing process.
Once you add the glue to the broken part, apply a thin nail coating over the nail, to make it extra strong and prevent it from future breaking.
What Super Glue Must Never Be Used?
Many times, some think of using super glue to press on their fake nails.
Always keep in mind that no matter what, never use superglue, not just on your nails, but on your body too. It is not designed to use on your skin or body, for it will damage or cause irritation.
Besides, super glue comes with a warning as never to use on the body or skin, which if used, must need immediate medical attention.
If you thought that super glue is durable and strong than the regular ones, then you are completely mistaken.
They are not durable and damages the natural glow and shine of nails.
It is because super glue contains etching agents that roughen or breaks the surface. And if you apply it on your nails besides numerous warnings, you will find it very difficult to remove.
It will not just damage the nails, but the entire process will become tedious and difficult.
If you’re not sure how to remove superglue from nails, check out our blog post on “How to Remove Super Glue from Nails?“.
Why Nail Glue is the Better Option?
Nail glue has low cyanoacrylate concentrations, containing additives that make the glue stay longer and durable.
It also allows the moisture to handle better and is great at flexibility.
It prevents skin allergies and irritation and is completely safe to use on your nails and skin.
There are better and safe options than super glue.
Besides nail techs highly recommend you use either gentle adhesives or nail glue for better nail health and growth.
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I use if I don’t have nail glue?
- We recommend that you use oil, cotton balls, rubbing alcohol, a buffer, a nail file, and nail acetone as well. It’s pretty straightforward.
- Let the remover set in overtime by soaking, scrubbing, and dousing with remover as needed.
Can I use acrylic as nail glue?
- In addition to acrylic’s non-breakdown in water properties, acrylic is a good choice for attaching your tips.
- Acrylic tips require more time to apply, but the bond is stronger and more stable.
Is Super Glue OK for nails?
- Press-on nails and fake nails must never be glued with Super Glue.
- Using superglue on your body is not recommended since it can cause damage to your natural nails.
- Super glue comes with a warning on its label that it should not be used on the skin or body.
How do you make nail glue with flour and water?
- Mix 1 cup flour in ½ cup of water, and ⅛ teaspoon salt to the mixture.
- Mix together your ingredients.
- Make a thick paste by mixing flour with water, a bit at a time. Blend thoroughly and add salt.
This homemade product will save you money because it’s so much cheaper to make at home than buy from the store. With the above simple steps, you’ll have an attractive nails in no time!